Step 1: Check Your Outlets For Ground
In order to use your Earthing product, you must connect it to the “ground port” of a grounded 3 prong outlet. Before plugging in your Earthing product, you must check that the outlet is grounded by plugging in the outlet checker.
Two amber lights illuminated is GOOD and means that you have a proper ground and you are ready to connect your Earthing product.
Any other light combination means your outlet is NOT properly grounded. Try testing another outlet. If it still doesn’t work, then you will need to use a grounding rod in the optional step 2.
Step 2: (Optional) Using The Ground Rod When Outlets Aren't Grounded
1. First Push the Ground Rod directly into the earth(8" to 10") close to the foundation of the building.
2. Run the cord from the Ground Rod, under or around a window or door, near where you will be using your product.
3. Make sure to cover the cord to prevent tripping.
4. Plug the prong end of your cord into the receptical end of the Ground Rod cord. If you live in a dry area, such as a desert, soak the earth around the Ground Rod from time to time for maximum conductivity.
Step 3: Setting Up The Ground Therapy Single Sleep Mat
1. Place the Ground Therapy Sleep Mat on either side of your mattress or running across the width near the top or bottom of the mattress.
2. Pull the straps under the mattress, starting with the strap furthest from the edge. Once in place, pull the strap nearest the edge under the mattress to fully secure the mat.
3. Attach snap end of Earthing cord to snap nub on mat.
4. Insert prong end of Earthing cord into ground port (third hole) of nearest grounded electrical outlet on wall, or into Earthing ground rod cord if you use a ground rod connection.
4. The top of the mat (the side with the label) is the conductive side. The Earth’s energy is transferred best when your bare skin is in contact with the pad, can also be used with a fitted sheet. It just takes several minutes to make the connection.
Step 4: How To Test For Conductivity With The Continuity Tester
Not All Products Come Standard With a Continuity Tester.
The purpose of the tester is to verify that your Earthing Mat is conductive. It contains two replaceable batteries.
1. Insert prong end of splitter into grounded outlet or ground rod cord.
2. Plug Earthing cord from mat into one of the two splitter receptacle ends.
3. Insert prong end of tester cord into the other splitter receptacle.
4. Place product tester flat on the mat. The round metal plate must be in contact with surface of mat. Press firmly on the mat to obtain a good contact. A green light means that mat is in working order. In unlikely case that no green light comes on, the mat may be defective or has lost conductivity and should be replaced. Sometimes, people have difficulty testing their mat. If the light doesn’t come on, place one hand on the mat while holding the tester in the other hand and with one finger on the silver button on back of tester. A green light would show that the body is grounded when touching the mat. Make sure that both the tester and the mat are plugged in to the ground, as described above. The reason for perhaps the light not going on: you aren't pressing hard enough on the tester. The surface fabric of the mat sometimes prevents the button from contacting the conductive fibers of the mat. The surface seems smooth, but if you were to look at it with a microscope you would see "hills and valleys." The pliant surface of the skin, unlike the hard metal button, will bend around fibers and make good contact. You can also put some moisture on your finger tips to create a better contact.
5. Disconnect splitter from the ground connection, then disconnect cords from the splitter.
6. Re-insert Earthing cord from sheet into ground connection.
7. You don’t have to test your mat often. Perhaps after cleaning. The more you use the tester, the sooner the batteries in the tester will expire.
Step 6: How To Care For Your Ground Therapy Sleep Mat
Our conductive black carbon material is inherently antimicrobial and can be wiped down with a damp cloth. For an occasional deeper clean, we recommend a simple 3-step process.
- Wipe down your product using a damp cloth mixed with a small amount of mild household soap.
- Use a clean, damp cloth to thoroughly wipe away the soap. This prevents buildup, which blocks conductivity.
- Let your product air dry.
Important: Never use a cleaning agent containing bleach, disinfectants, oils, or whitening agents, as they can ruin the conductivity of your Earthing® product. Never put your product in the washing machine.