Step 1: Check Your Outlets For Ground
In order to use your Earthing product, you must connect it to the “ground port” of a grounded 3 prong outlet. Before plugging in your Earthing product, you must check that the outlet is grounded by plugging in the outlet checker.
Two amber lights illuminated is GOOD and means that you have a proper ground and you are ready to connect your Earthing product.
Any other light combination means your outlet is NOT properly grounded. Try testing another outlet. If it still doesn’t work, then you will need to use a grounding rod in the optional step 2.
Step 2: (Optional) Using The Ground Rod When Outlets Aren't Grounded
1. First Push the Ground Rod directly into the earth(8" to 10") close to the foundation of the building.
2. Run the cord from the Ground Rod, under or around a window or door, near where you will be using your product.
3. Make sure to cover the cord to prevent tripping.
4. Plug the prong end of your cord into the receptacle end of the Ground Rod cord. If you live in a dry area, such as a desert, soak the earth around the Ground Rod from time to time for maximum conductivity.
Step 3: Setting Up The Half Sheet
1. Place the half-sheet across width or length of the bed, over the bottom sheet, so that when you lie down you make bare skin contact with the half-sheet. Any part of your body will work. Many people place it across width of the bed, at the foot end, so that the lower legs and/or feet make contact.
2. Insert one end of Earthing cord into ground port of a properly grounded wall outlet (third hole) or connect to the cord of an Earthing ground rod placed in the Earth outside.
3. Snap other end of Earthing cord onto half-sheet.
4. Tuck loose ends under mattress.
Step 5: How To Test For Conductivity With The Continuity Tester
Not All Products Come Standard With a Continuity Tester.
The purpose of the tester is to verify that your Earthing sheet is conductive. It contains two replaceable batteries.
1. Insert prong end of splitter into grounded outlet or ground rod cord.
2. Plug Earthing cord from sheet into one of the two splitter receptacle ends.
3. Insert prong end of tester cord into the other splitter receptacle.
4. Place product tester flat on the sheet. The round metal plate must be in contact with surface of the sheet. Press firmly on the sheet to obtain a good contact. A green light means that sheet is in working order. In unlikely case that no green light comes on, the sheet may be defective or has lost conductivity and should be replaced. Sometimes, people have difficulty testing their sheets. If the light doesn’t come on, place one hand on the sheet while holding the tester in the other hand and with one finger on the silver button on back of tester. A green light would show that the body is grounded when touching the sheet. Make sure that both the tester and the sheet are plugged in to the ground, as described above. The reason for perhaps the light not going on: you aren't pressing hard enough on the tester. The surface fabric of the sheet sometimes prevents the button from contacting the conductive silver fibers of the sheet. The surface seems smooth, but if you were to look at it with a microscope you would see "hills and valleys." The pliant surface of the skin, unlike the hard metal button, will bend around fibers and make good contact. You can also put some moisture on your fingertips to create better contact.
5. Disconnect splitter from the ground connection, then disconnect cords from the splitter.
6. Re-insert Earthing cord from sheet into ground connection.
7. You don’t have to test your sheet often. Perhaps after cleaning. The more you use the tester, the sooner the batteries in the tester will expire.
Step 6: How To Wash and Care For Your Earthing Sheet
It is good to wash your Earthing® product. It will not be harmed by washing, in fact it is beneficial. Washing in warm water strips body sweat and natural skin oils from the silver keeping it conductive.
- Wash a minimum of 2x per month or weekly
- Wash in a washing machine
- Wash with warm water, approximately 105 degrees Fahrenheit (40 celsius).
- Dry in a dryer on low or line dry
- Don’t wash with bleach or fabric softeners
- Don’t use whitening detergents, oxi-detergents OR detergents with oils like lavender or coconut oil
- Don’t use dryer sheet fabric softeners
- Don't apply lotions or body oils before bed
Bleach, body lotions and oils can tarnish the silver thread rendering it non-conductive. Fabric softener builds up on the silver and also ruins its conductive properties.
It is advised to wait one hour to use the product after applying lotion to the skin. Iron using low heat.